FOOD PREPARATION AND NUTRITION REVISION PAGE
What is in this GCSE course? Details of exams, other elements and marks available.
Food Preparation and Nutrition GCSE – AQA
Total of 100 marks: 1 -paper Written examination: 1 hour 45 minutes worth 50% of qualification
· Multiple choice questions. 20 marks
· Five questions each with a number of sub questions. 80 marks
Common problem areas and misconceptions for Willingdon students, including links to help with those areas
- Make use of the interactive AQA text book especially when learning about food science.
- Access to digital text Book illuminate.digital/aqafood
(student username: SWILL3 Students - Password: STUDENT3)
- Use SENECA and BBC Bitesize (Home economics, food and nutrition) as an interactive way to learn and test yourself - SENECA Learning
- Watch the BBC videos as this will help you remember facts - BBC Podcasts On Nutrition And The BBC Bitesize Cartoon Video
- Use the PLP in order to revise all the topics needed for the exam. RAG this document to identify areas you are confident and not so confident in.
Ragged PLP For Revision Topics
- Use the revision book and the revision timetable as well as your notes, as this will break down areas of revision into manageable chunks.
- Work Book Revision 2020
- Look at Power Points on each topic in student resources
- Do exam papers to gain confidence on how the exam is laid out and REMEMBER look at how many marks each question has in order that you have a point for each mark.
- Think logically about a topic and relate it to real life experiences e.g. Food safety, international cuisines and marketing.
The key to better grades
- Underline key words when looking at questions.
- Look at the exam advice in the back of the revision book as it explains all the command words you will see in the exam
- Learn subject specific vocabulary including the science terminology - Science Terminology
- Remember to explain everything in full and give an example
- Learn Nutrition thoroughly as this makes up a large % of the exam (nutrient, where it comes from, why do we need it, what happens if you have too much, what happens if you don’t have enough, allergies, special diets, diets needed at different ages) - Total Nutrition Revision
- Add temperatures to all food safety questions even if you are not asked for them - Revision Card
- Test yourself on the basics using the total revision PowerPoint and revision card - Total Revision
- Use the Workbook to revise - Work Book Revision 2020
Links to sample papers/questions & mark schemes